Friday, January 1, 2010

2010: The Year We Make Contact

How many of you remember the Arthur C. Clarke novel of the above title? In it, the aliens who were driving our civilization (as seen in "2001: A Space Odyssey") make contact with our world. Profound changes were going to be taking place, including the birth of a new star in our solar system. And it became so.

This is my year of profound change. I am making contact with my inner self again, forcing myself out of the complacency in which I have been living, and making my dreams a reality this year . . . at least the ones which I directly impact. It's time to give myself a swift kick in the derriere, stop making excuses, and strike out on my own course of adventure.

Some of the things which I hope to accomplish this year:

  1. continued improvement of my health
  2. return to a size 6 (I am already down 38 pounds since moving back to Michigan)
  3. developing the 501C animal shelter
  4. working with the local green chapter to provide fresh produce for inner city seniors
  5. continued renovations of the outbuildings on the farm
  6. being kinder to myself
  7. emptying my load (more about this tomorrow)
  8. write something EVERY DAY, even if it's just to blog again

Fasting is the cornerstone for this. I feel fasting brings me back to center, and the last two fasts I have done in earnest (the one for Darfur and the Holiday Fast to bring the plight of those without into focus) have been for others. Tomorrow, I start a fast FOR ME.

I know that sounds selfish. Be that as it may, it's time to take a little time out to become 'intuned' to my inner self again. Yes, it's the year I make contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment